Stairs are one of the most important architectural elements of a building. Proper and safe design of stairs has a great impact on the interior decoration and facade of the building. One of the references for manufacturing and producing different types of stair is Custom Dream Stairs. This collection can design the most dreamy stairs according to your taste by providing the best materials. In this article, we have tried to examine the components of stairs, the factors of choosing stairs and the types of stairs in terms of appearance, material and application.
One way to connect different floors and levels are stair, which make it easy for people to cross. Stairs have a variety of uses in different parts of a building, including: stairs between floors, courtyard, home entrance, indoor or decorative stairs, etc. Therefore, the design of the appearance and safety of stairs is very important. Therefore, important factors in choosing stairs should be considered, because the wrong decision in choosing it can make it look ugly, take up a lot of space and even dangerous.
Each step consists of three main parts: floor of stairs, sloping surface and footrest, as well as three sub-parts, including riser, gutter and stair railing.
- Floor of stairs: The surface on which sole of foot is placed to cross is called floor of stairs.
- Sloping surface: The base and type of chassis on which stairs are mounted is called sloping surface.
- Footstool: A surface between rows of stairs designed to change direction and rest that is at least one foot wide.
- riser: The degree of slope of stairs from bottom up, which includes a set of stairs that are placed between two differences in the level of row, is called riser.
- Gutter: Gutter is a narrow groove that is located on the side of stairs and is designed to drain water.
- Stair railing: A guard that is designed around stairs to create security to prevent people from falling and also to allow ease of use of stairs. The design of stairs should be in accordance with required standards.
Observance of engineering standard in production of stairs is one of the requirements of building architecture. Because its unprincipledness, in addition to fatigue and annoyance in crossing, will cause more serious dangers.
The following is a list of some of required Stair standards:
- Maximum 12 consecutive steps in each arm
- The standard height of stairs is 18 cm
- The minimum size of floor of stairs is 33 cm
- The minimum depth of floor of main stairs of the building is 28 cm
- Using fences or guards to create crossing safety
- The minimum height of the protective stair is 80 cm
- Using safe and non-slip materials for stair treads, edges and stairs
- Use of fire resistant materials
Important factors in choosing a stair:
In general, in choosing a staircase, various factors should be considered, the most important of which are: design, materials used and the type of stair application.
- In terms of design: the shape and design of the stairs are divided into two general types of straight and screw, each of which is presented in different models.
- In terms of material: There are different types of materials used in the production of stairs, including: wooden, steel, stone, concrete, Plexiglas, wood-metal, glass, etc. stairs, each of which is used depending on the application.
Types of stairs in terms of design:
A) Straight stairs
One of the simplest design of stairs is straight stairs that do not change direction and twist, but are a completely straight movement. This type of stairs has a longer length than other stairs, so it is not suitable in places where there is a problem of lack of space. The geometric shape of the floor of each staircase is rectangular and often has a width of 30 cm. Staircases are divided into the following types:
- One-way straight stairs: These types of stairs have a long length and need a lot of space. Also, being one-sided will cause a lot of fatigue in crossing. Therefore, the presence of a Footstool in path of this type of stairs is essential.
- Two-way straight step with middle foot and three arms: The most common type of stairs is this model, which is used in most buildings. Its apparent shape is such that after passing the path of first row of stairs, it is a footrest to rest the foot and then change direction to second row. So in addition to comfort, it takes up less space.
- Two-way straight stairs with two legs and three arms: This type of staircase consists of two narrow rows and one wide row. Its model looks much more beautiful and luxurious among other stairs. This type of staircase is commonly used in places such as universities, schools, office and commercial spaces.
- Three-way straight stairs with two legs and three arms: In this model, a large number of stairs are used and include two steps and three arms. For this reason, it is used in cases where height of high floors and space of stairs are low. Some designers also use elevators between these stairs for greater efficiency.
B) Screw stairs
This stair model is usually used in places where less space is available, because the angle of the turn can be increased or decreased according to the environment. In fact, this type of stairs are the most beautiful type of stairs to decorate house. Spiral staircases are divided into the following types:
- Stairs with vertical screws: This type of stair is not angled and is twisted in the direction which it moves. Usually these stairs have a Footstool that has two or three stair on it.
- Stairs with decorative screws: This staircase is offered in various models, wide and with expensive materials, which is used in most duplex and luxurious houses. This type of stairs is one of the most beautiful stairs to decorate luxury buildings.
- Full screw ladder: One of the most popular types of stairs in places that have limited space is the stairs with full turns. For this reason, in most small shops, especially fast food, this type of stairs is very visible. In the design of this staircase, there is a complete screw around a pillar that is in the center of the bridge.
Types of stairs in terms of material:
1- Wooden stairs:
The example of wooden stairs is one of the models that never goes out of fashion and still has its own fans. Wood as a symbol of nature is very influential in home decoration design. In addition to beauty of wooden stairs, it is very easy to maintain, replace and renovate this type of stairs. But they have a short useful life and low resistance to fire. Of course, this resistance can be greatly increased by using guards.
2- Stone stairs:
Stone stairs are also one of the most luxurious types of stairs, which have various beauties depending on the stone used. So choosing the right stone is very important here. Granite and marble stones are commonly used in most of these types of stairs. These types of stairs, in addition to being beautiful, have high strength and are easy to maintain. But they are usually more expensive, so most have tried to produce this type of stairs from concrete or cast stone with a natural stone surface.
3- Steel stairs:
Stairs made of steel are lighter than other stairs because they are made of plates with pressed steels.
4- Glass stairs:
Today, glass has many applications in the architecture of buildings. An example of a modern staircase is a glass staircase that gives a unique beauty to the house. In this type of stairs, the main factor of choice is very thick and unbreakable glass.
Types of stairs in terms of function:
In addition to the model and material of stairs, a very important factor in choosing the type of application and place of use the stairs. Because each place, according to its space and nature, requires a specific model. In general, stairs, depending on the nature of user, include the following:
- Educational stairs
- Office stairs
- Commercial stairs
- Escape stairs
- Stairs of entertainment centers
- Hospital stairs
- Hotel stairs
- Urban stairs
- Residential stairs
- Exterior stairs
As you have read in this article, stairs play an important role in building architecture. Therefore, it is necessary to observe the mentioned standards and consider various factors in choosing stairs. With these principles and years of experience in mind, Custom Dream Stairs designers are able to make a variety of stairs in a different of designs and with high quality materials. Here you can see an example of stairs produced by this collection.