Wood is one of the oldest and most useful elements in nature, which is second only to stone in terms of application in the human world. Due to the ease of work and the wide range of wood, its types can be used for various purposes. Important uses of wood include: construction of houses, shelters, facades, formwork, boats, construction of doors and windows, elements of home interior decoration such as: furniture, cupboards, railings, stairs, shelves, cabinets, etc. Wood is also one of the best natural materials that is used to create a pleasant atmosphere for the human body and mind. Optimal properties of wood that make it popular include: beautiful design color, ductility, coefficient of resistance, acoustics, high capacity against heat. In this article, we will discuss the use of wood in the construction of modern stair railings. In the following, you will get acquainted with wooden stair railings, its role in home decoration, its advantages and disadvantages, as well as the types of wood used to make stair railings.
Today’s types of stair railings are offered in three types: wood, metal and glass. Among these cases, wooden stair railings are more popular than other fences and it is used privately in luxury homes. In general, the use of wood in home appliances conveys a higher sense of classicism and luxury to the home space. Therefore, in the decoration of traditional and duplex houses, the use of various wooden stair railings can be seen. Since wood can be selected in a variety of designs, colors and materials, it makes it possible to produce custom stair railings according to individual tastes. You can also combine wood and other materials such as metals and glass to give a more attractive and modern look to the stairs of the house.
In addition to the attractiveness of wooden stair railings, there are several advantages that have made it popular. These benefits include the following:
- Lifespan: Most wooden appliances have a longer service life than other items. But at the same time, there is a possibility of fungal and mold growth, which can be easily prevented with more care.
- Variety of colors: Due to the presence of wood in different types of trees, wooden railings are available in a variety of colors and designs, so it can be made differently according to people’s tastes.
- Variety of prices depending on the choice of wood
- Ability to combine wood with other materials such as metal, glass and stone.
- Ease of installation and easy change
- Easy to clean: The cleanliness of the railing and stairs plays an important role in cleaning any building, and wooden stair railings can be easily cleaned with a towel. But if they are sticky, they can be easily cleaned with a solution of vinegar and water.
- High resistance to moisture and water: In general, wood has a high resistance to moisture and water, but if water penetrates, there is a possibility of swelling. In order to prevent this problem, it is necessary to use a variety of wood veneers as an external protective layer so as not to be damaged by moisture, water vapor, etc.
- Easy maintenance: Usually in case of damage to wooden stair railings, it can be restored to a new state with just a simple polish. So you can easily repair and renovate the stair railings of the house.
This is one of the most important factors that motivates most people to use wooden stair railings at home.
An important factor in choosing a wooden stair railing:
Before choosing a wooden stair railing model, you should pay attention to the cost, the place used for home or commercial use, and the installation conditions on site. Therefore, important factors in your choice will include the material, color and design of the wood, its strength and cost.
- Wood: The most important selection factor for stair railings. Russian beech, maple, pine and oak are commonly used to make wooden railings and staircases. In addition to the variety of designs and colors, these types of woods have sufficient strength against human movement and the humidity of the place.
- Cost: Another important factor in buying is the amount. Therefore, due to the variety and low price of different types of wood compared to other materials, wooden stair railings are a good option.
- Color: The variety of colors in wooden stair railings is very great, even after installation, it is possible to repaint to change and renovate.
The role of wooden railings in home decoration:
One of the most beautiful classic railings that never goes out of style is the wooden railing. Aesthetically, these railings improve the spirit because they expand the space and associate nature in the human mind. Also, by combining wooden fences with steel Floor Covering, its beauty can be doubled. Even for modernity, this type of fence is combined with different types of glass and has created more attractive designs. This model consists of corrugated glass panels. Another attractive combination of these fences is with the combination of metal, which adds a classic style to the home space. Of course, it is better to pay attention to their compatibility with each other in the composition of these materials.
Types of wooden railing:
Among the woods used in railings, we can mention pine, oak, maple, beech and Russian wood. These woods have higher durability and strength due to their price. Among them, oak is very hard and has a higher cost. If pine is softer between them and has a lower price, but still has good resistance. So it is much more economical. In the following, we will explain each of these woods and their applications.
Among the woods used in fences, we can mention pine, oak, maple, beech and Russian wood. These woods have higher durability and strength due to their price. Among them, oak is very hard and has a higher cost. If pine is softer between them and has a lower price, but still has good resistance. So it is much more economical. In the following, we will explain each of these woods and their applications.
Pine wood is widely used indoors and outdoors. These applications include the following:
- Manufacture of interior and exterior furniture
- Build door and window frames
- Flooring and paving materials
- Stairs and railings
- Roof coverings
- Decorative effects
Beech wood is a hard, strong and heavy wood with small pores. The color of this type of wood is usually red, yellow and brown and it can be stained and polished to a good standard. In addition to high strength and density, beech wood is also in the more cost-effective range of hardwoods. Beech wood is relatively easy to work with because it is resistant to tearing. But this advantage causes beech wood to move, shrink and swell when exposed to high humidity. One of the weaknesses of beech wood is its low pattern and wave, so the wood is not considered very beautiful. Therefore, it is less durable for long-term outdoor use. Beech trees are often found in Europe, Asia and North America.
Beech wood is often used in interiors and veneers, the following are the different uses of this wood.
- Furniture industry
- Doors to many historical and religious sites
- Frames, all kinds of bent and turned parts
- Flooring, plywood
- Making firewood
- Suitable for interior and joinery
- In cabinets, panel formats and fire environments
- Use as a coated relief piece
- Wood veneers, furniture and wood objects
- Chairs, other curved parts
• Piano mechanism for bridges and pin blocks
Oak wood is one of the most widely used woods among all types of wood. The high density and strength of oak wood has made it very popular among different types of wood around the world. In addition to high strength, oak is also very popular in terms of beauty due to its many roles and waves. It is also highly resistant to rot, moisture, fungi and yeast, but is nevertheless prone to swelling and shrinkage, so with proper treatment and sealing, it can be used for outdoor use. Oak sticks are available in two types, white oak and red oak, also known as black oak. Red oak is easier to work with because it is softer than white oak. Oak trees are found in various parts of the Americas, Asia, North Africa and Europe. Another advantage of oak is its ease of staining and polishing, which is a good choice for painting different surfaces. In addition to all the above mentioned advantages, it should be taken into account that the price of oak is much more expensive than beech and Russian wood.
Today, oak with more than 600 different species, has found its place in modern life for a variety of applications from public buildings to joinery. The uses of oak are listed in the following:
- Great choice for home and office furniture
- book shelf
- Build ships and boats
- Flooring and veneer
- Wooden structures
Maple wood has two types of hard and soft species. Its hard species, known as maple sugar, is very hardy and durable against impact and cracking. But soft maple, which is a red maple tree, is a better choice for carpenters because it is easier to cut and work with. In contrast, working with hard maples is very difficult. Maple trees have a lot of cleanliness and cleanliness. These trees grow in Asia, North America, North Africa, Europe and Canada.
The use of maple is very wide. Construction maple is used in applications that require higher strength, while soft maple is used for lighter and easier work. In general, the use of maple wood can be seen in the following cases.
- Build routes
- Wood flooring
- Home furniture
- Wall shelf
- Console table
- Curly maple seeds for use on the back of violin
Russian wood is one of the soft woods that can be considered the most cost-effective wood in the manufacture of wood products. Due to its low price, beautiful role and wave, Russian wood is one of the most widely used woods in the wood industry. It is also resistant to insects such as termites due to its yellow gum. However, it is lower in density and resistance than other woods and is very vulnerable to impact, scratches and scratches.
If low cost and cost-effectiveness are important to you when buying woodwork, Russian wood is recommended. But as you have read, it has little impact resistance.
As you have read, there are different woods with different properties that you can use for different purposes according to your needs. If quality and strength are important to you, oak is a good choice. But if cost-effectiveness is a higher priority for you, Russian wood is a better choice. If both criteria are a priority for you, you can use pine and beech wood, which along with high strength, have a good cost. Also, choose the right option by reading more about the details of these woods. You can also order wooden stair railings by choosing the type of wood and raw materials by view the Custom Dream Stairs gallery.